Soooo, I never posted this recipe during the holidays (which is when I made it) but it’s a good one for year round. My boyfriend said this was his favorite lasagna he’s had ever. Never thought I would hear those words coming from his Italian mouth, but hey, the man knows what he likes. Also, my entire family enjoyed the rich layers and various subtle flavors the lasagna offered. Give it a go!
white Christmas lasagna ingredients:
- 1 box lasagna pasta
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 2 containers baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- caramelized onion & cashew alfredo sauce
- cashew ricotta
- herbed pistachio ricotta
- peppered macadamia ricotta
- Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella slices
lasagna directions: Cook the lasagna pasta for half of the recommended time and add the cooked pasta to a bowl of iced water before layering. Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a large roasting pan or pyrex baking dish, add a layer of the sauce and then begin the first layer of pasta. Next, add a layer of the peppered macadamia ricotta and sliced mushrooms. Add an additional layer of sauce and another layer of lasagna pasta. Repeat this process with the herbed pistachio ricotta and spinach. Add more sauce and another layer of pasta. And now, another layer of sauce and the vegan mozzarella slices… and more sauce. I prefer mine saucy. Bake for an hour and half. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
caramelized onion & cashew alfredo sauce ingredients:
- 1 large white onion, halved
- 2 small yellow onions, halved
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- veggie broth (enough to cover onions in crock pot)
- 2 cups cashew milk
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 container Follow Your Heart vegan Parmesan shreds
sauce directions: this version couldn’t be easier. Put all of the ingredients into a crockpot and let cook for about 6 hours. Once everything is soft, blend with an immersion blender or food processor. That’s it!
cashew, pistachio or macadamia nuts ricotta’s:
- 1 lb nuts, soaked in water overnight (or quickly boiled for about 20 minutes) I used cashews, pistachios and macadamias. This is not necessary! You can use one type of nut 🙂 (I’m just a nut who loves nuts and their various flavor notes)
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- herbs to season: dried oregano & rosemary, garlic & onion powders, pepper
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
nut ricotta directions: Take your overnight soaked nuts (or boiled nuts) with the water and blend in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, herbs/seasonings and nutritional yeast. Pulse until smooth and creamy like ricotta. DONE!