Chickpea’s, or garbanzo beans, are pretty awesome, don’t you agree? Healthy fat with high source of protein – that is all plant-based! Falafel is used in Greek or Middle Eastern Cuisine. The falafel varies by region, but this time I made my falafel a bit more Greek-inspired. I also created an easy lemon dill rice and fresh “love salad” to pair with. The “love salad” is my Grandmere’s recipe… this was my favorite salad as a child because she made it with love. Plus the tomatoes give the dressing a tangy taste that is so refreshing. This is a light meal, but packed full of good food that will keep your hunger at bay and satisfied.
- 50 oz canned chick peas
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 6 tbsp coconut flour
- 6 tbsp grape seed oil
- 6 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp coriander
- 3 tsp salt
- Sprinkled with smoked paprika
- 2 onions, chopped in blender
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped in blender
- Fresh parsley, chopped in blender
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 lemon
Preheat your oven to 480°F. Put all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor…. I had to do this in batches because there was a lot! First, I blended all of the chickpea’s until smooth, and set aside in a large mixing bowl. Then I blended the onion, garlic, and parsley, add that to the chickpea mixture. Next, I mixed the ground flaxseed, coconut flour, baking powder, spices, oil and lemon juice. Mix everything until consistent. Scoop with a large spoon, forming balls onto a foiled/greased baking sheet. Take a large fork and press the balls flat. Sprinkle with smoked paprika. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and flip! Make sure to be careful because some falafel might break apart – do your best to keep the “cakes” from falling apart. Bake for another 20 minutes. A golden brown color will be achieved once cooked to perfection. Dust with more smoked paprika once baking complete. Let the falafel rest for about 10 minutes once removed from oven, before eating.
- 2 cups arborio rice (OR ANY RICE YOU LIKE – I measured using the rice cooker measurement tool)
- Water amount according to rice type and cooking method (I just followed the directions on the rice cooker)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dill weed
- Fresh lemon zest – 1 lemon
- Drizzle grape seed oil
Put everything in the rice cooker and press cook, that’s legit all you have to do. So easy! If no rice cooker, just put everything in a soup pot and follow the directions on the rice package for cooking. This is easy too!
“Love Salad” ingredients:
- 1 cucumber, peeled, cut in half and sliced
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes, cut into quarters and sliced
- 1/2 white onion, cut in half and sliced
- 4 pieces romaine lettuce – chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl – refrigerate for 10 minutes before serving! Easy does it!